Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, May 10, 2010

Upsetting Trend


I have been hearing lately about a really upsetting trend. Now to start, I have a Facebook account. I love that I can stay in touch with loved ones, see pictures, and hear about the up's and down's of their lives. What I DON'T love is hearing time after time after time about how family's are being torn apart by it. Here's the thing. If you're married- DON'T FLIRT WITH/BE OVERLY FRIENDLY WITH/SYMPATHIZE WITH members of the opposite sex. PERIOD. It's not ok to do in person, so it's not ok to do online either. It's not harmless just because the person isn't standing right in front of you. It's a very fine line between a harmless friendship and an inappropriate relationship. Think to yourself, "If my loved one was standing over my shoulder, would I write this?" If the answer is no, don't write it. If you find yourself thinking about that person, end it. It's soooo easy to push a "Delete" button. It's not easy to pick up the pieces of your life and of other's after they have been devestated by the realization that the person they loved the most and trusted the most have betrayed them.
If you think you are above something like this, you are DEAD WRONG. This is happening to really good people. Just because you love someone isn't going to stop you from hurting them. You have to make a conscious decision about these things. It's really sad and hard to see people you care about go through this. Hopefully if you read this you will be more aware of who and how you are communicating on Facebook.

4 comments:

  1. Im so happy that you posted about this. I wanted to also but never did because i thought because i don't have a facebook it would offend people who do. Anyway it is a big deal and i hope people can be aware of this problem because it is a big one. Its scary the statistics of divorces happening partially because of facebook. I agree that people need to think before they say something to someone that might not be right. I actually got rid of my facebook after Matt and i got married because he asked me to. And i had my blog that i attended to much more anyway.
    Well I hope you are doing well! Thanks for having the guts to post this=}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alli :) It's so crazy. I went out to dinner with some old girl friends last night and they all had stories of people they knew who had been affected by infedility that stemmed from facebook. I decided to go through and delete any male who wasn't either my relative or gay. Now I am just keeping up with my girlfriends and family. The way it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the advise, and we should definetely get together soon, good advice about facebook, I don't think I'm on it that much anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I dont have facebook but I think if you can't do something in front of your partner you shouldnt be doing it at all... I feel bad for the people who's lives are torn apart over things like this... I think everyone needs to be open and honest with their partners... I saw a thing about this on yahoo as well about how Facebook is causing lots of problems in relationships... That is really sad and good advice natty to those who have facebook... Philly

    ReplyDelete